Ever since we introduced a weekly music chart on Skizar, we have received both praises and criticism in equal measure. Whereas some believe the chart is a true
For the critics, the reservations have
It is upon that background that we present you with the #SWT10 chart selection criteria.
- For any song to feature on #SWT10, it must have a music video. The video must be uploaded and streaming on YouTube.
- Secondly, a song to make it to #SWT10 must be on rotation in Jinja. By rotation, the song must be playing on radio, TV, and hangouts. It must also have created some kind of buzz online.
- For a song to be #1 for a particular week on #SWT10, it must be the most trending on YouTube. This means if the songs selected for the week are all trending, the most trending song makes it to the #1 song of that week. A case in point, Gutujja by Rema X B2C has been trending for a while. If you look back on #SWT10 for the last 3 weeks, it has maintained the #1 position.
- For new entrants on the chart, #10 is that song that drops before Wednesday but must have the highest views on YouTube. In essence, if 5 songs drop before Wednesday and they all fit the selection criteria, the song with the highest views gets on the chart at #10.
- In the case that a song drops with a huge promo campaign (it is expected that it will gain instant viewership), it will be treated as a special case BUT cannot be in the Top 5 section, even if among all songs it has the hugest viewership or is trending at #1. If say the Who is Who challenge happened around this time and a face-off or beef alert pushed one artiste into a studio and they dropped a song that fits the #SWT10 selection criteria, that song will be treated as a special case and will debut on the chart but not in the top 5, maybe at #6.
- For an artiste who gets into the news and creates a buzz, even when they don’t have a hit song, their latest video gets considered BUT cannot go beyond #7 too. For example, if Geosteady didn’t have a new song, the ‘child-neglect’ scandal would have given his most recent video mileage as everyone in the media would need a reference point to talk about him.
- Lastly, for the issue of progression where a song grows from #10 up to #1 or vice versa, the only determinant is the song’s online growth curve.
This ladies and gentlemen is how we’re able to select and compile #SWT10 every week. It seems an easy process but it isn’t as care and keeping an ear to the ground is a must.
#SWT10 is compiled by Alfa Tymz and runs every Friday at 1400hrs (2pm) East Africa Time.