Raising children in these times has become more problematic than ever before. There’s a need for every parent to give their child the life they didn’t get themselves but then end up spoiling them.
You might need to make serious amends if your child is to turn into that joy you dreamed of when you had them. Remember, children, if not well groomed, will find it difficult navigating life, even when the parents are successful people. Look at this way, manners take you to where your education can’t irrespective of your status, wealth or or influence.
Take a look at the list and identify where you might want to change on yourself, or on the young ones.
- Going to your child’s school indecently dressed. C’mon! Think again.
- Speaking rudely to your child’s teacher. This makes the child think it’s right.
- Cursing, using foul language or swear words in front of your children.
- Using makeup on children. We all know they got to look good but…
- Dressing your little children indecently. They loose their sense of being a Princess.
- Your children don’t greet because they have a mood swing and you feel they will come around one day. You will be blamed for it.
- Your children eat and chew with their mouth open and you feel they will grow up some day. They won’t!
- Your children bringing home something you did not buy for them and you say nothing. That, there, is the beginning of stealing.
- The children talk back at you and you conclude it’s okay since you are a 21st century parent. You will hate yourself when they do that outside and they are disciplined.
- The children interrupt when you are speaking with another adult and you think they are bold and clever. Its really bad manners.
- The children exercising authority over their maid/nanny and you let them be. That is bad parenting.
- Children saying things like “my driver is on his way…!” It’s not a must that children call domestic staff Aunty or Uncle. Calling them by name when they are not age mates is not proper either. The use of Miss, Mr. or Mrs. will look good on them.
- Your children don’t say a ‘thank you’ when they have been helped or served something and you are cool with that.
- When your children cannot stand children who are less privileged.
- When the children pick their noses in public.
- When the children don’t wash their hands after visiting the washroom or after returning from school or outside visits.
- When your children take something from anywhere without seeking permission.
- When your children just bump into rooms without knocking and waiting for a response.
- When your children can’t help you with stuff when you come home.
- When your children request for a bribe to carry out their home chores or an extra task. That is disgraceful.
- When your children act like their grandparents irritate them. That is a transferable curse.
- When your children have not learnt to get up from the chair for the elderly or visitors to sit.
- When your child tells lot of lies. You will both cry in the future.
- When your children ask “who is that?” instead of “may I know who is there?” when someone knocks on the door.
- When your children still point their fingers at other people, when talking to or speaking about them.
- When your 4yrs+ children play and jump around when prayers are going on.
Don’t be a 21st Century parent who can’t correct your own children. Train them in the way of the Lord so that when they grow up they will not depart from such Godly training or upbringing.
It is better to let your children cry an an early age when being corrected or else you will both cry when they turn out to be a disgrace to you and the entire family.