Hello Skizar fam, it’s been two weeks since I last shared anything here. Well, sometimes there are situations above my control and I let God take over. I’m now back and with something small and simple, yet extremely important for the artistes out there who have YouTube channels but don’t know the simplest of things on how to optimize them.
Generally, when you sign up, YouTube gives you a long ugly link/URL for your channel. Funnily, I have seen many artists share these ugly links all over social media. Unknown to them, you can customize that long ugly link to a simple and easy-to-remember name.
Let us use the Kats Music YouTube channel as an example. This is the long ugly channel link:
Well, the truth is that no one on this planet can cram that link; they will always have to go through Google search in order to find the channel.
What if I told you there’s a way to customize it to something like www.youtube.com/katsmusic or www.youtube.com/c/katsmusic! Huh, quite neat and easy to remember, right? Well, if your channel is eligible, you can give fans an easy-to-remember web address.
You can choose a custom URL based on your YouTube username, display name, your name, or the name of your linked website; as long as it is available.
However, it is important to note that according to the Google Terms & Conditions, you cannot edit a custom URL! To get a new custom URL, you will have to delete the existing custom URL and once deleted, any custom URL can be claimed by any other creator. Basically, a YouTube channel may only have one custom URL and these can’t be transferred between different channels.
So, are you eligible for a Custom URL? I know you re wondering how you get to know if you are. Before you can set a Custom URL, your YouTube account needs to meet these criteria;
- Have at least 100 subscribers
- Be at least 30 days old
- Have an uploaded photo as a channel icon
- Have uploaded channel art
Set up a Custom URL for your YouTube channel
If you’re eligible for a Custom URL, you’ll see a notice in your advanced account settings, get an email notification, and may see a notification in your Creator Studio dashboard. Please keep in mind that you can’t edit a Custom URL once it’s created.
- Sign in to YouTube
- Go to your advanced account settings by clicking your profile picture in the top right, then Settings, and then Advanced Settings
- Under Channel Settings select the link next to ‘You’re eligible for a custom URL’. You’ll only see this link if your channel is eligible
- In the ‘Get a custom URL’ box, you’ll see the custom URL(s) you’ve been approved for. You can’t change the part in the gray box, but you may need to add a few letters or numbers to make the URL unique to you
- Once a custom URL has been approved, you can’t request to change it, so make sure this is the custom URL you want before clicking Confirm choice.
Once you have a Custom URL, e.g. youtube.com/yourcustomname your audience can use it to easily reach your channel.
Well, let me hope this is of help as we continue building this industry brick by brick. Until then, I remain yours truly… Don Andrea.